pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

the grim peeper: an easter post

i have long feared that my sins 
would return to haunt me,
and the cost would be 
more than i could bear.
mel gibson's "the patriot"

I transitioned to a macrobiotic lifestyle in January of 2009.
Most days, my past is behind me.  Truthfully, since I've become
so healthy and strong in recent years, I haven't thought too much
about the things I left behind.

But some days, I get the feeling that they haven't forgotten me...

I had fallen behind on the week, and didn't begin the preparation
of my Easter meal until late Saturday night.  I returned home alone,
set up my equipment in the kitchen, and began to wash my vegetables.

In the darkness of the night kitchen, a thousand tiny voices sang
in my ears.

I sliced my rutabaga.

I blinked.

I blinked again.

My vegetables boiled.  Uneasy thoughts bubbled just below the
surface of my mind, like frozen mushrooms simmering in stock.

'I'm a fool,' I mused aloud.  'There is no fear in the long dark
kitchen of the night.  Only celery and bonito shavings.'


I opened the oven.

Like the unexpected occupation of a public restroom...
...I hurriedly shut it with a mix of apologetic shame and flustered
bewilderment.

By the light of the television, I enjoyed my meal.  My soup was
both strengthening and balanced.  A delicate dance of sublime scallions
and subtle celery.

I don't miss the traditional American holiday diet.  Cadbury eggs
hold no sway over me.  Reese's cups hardly tempt me.  These
nutritional crimes are so deeply embedded in my past that to partake
them now would be nigh unthinkable.

But sometimes I think that they miss me.  I think that I was the one
that got away, that by some fluke, some universal oversight I was
released from their thrall too soon.

And they want me back.




the grim peeper:  a photographic journey 
provided to you this easter by becky.


easter root veggie stew
for healing and strengthening

1 rutabaga
1 large white onion
2 carrots
4 stalks celery
4 springs fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 cloves garlic

:: prep ::

mince garlic
rough-chop parsley
large roll-cut rutabaga, onion, carrot, and celery (about 1" by 1" chunks)

in a deep pot, saute garlic in olive oil until slightly brown.  
add onions, salt, white pepper and saute until beautiful and 
translucent.  once beautiful, add carrots, celery, and rutabaga 
chunks, submerge in water with a bay leaf, and bring to boil.  
simmer 20-30 minutes until carrots are bright and soft.

in a separate (deep) pot, boil either pre-purchased veggie stock 
or 6 cups water plus frozen stock ingredients.

once veggies are simmered, add stock and parsley, and 
season with splash of mirin, splash of ume vinegar, drop 
of brown rice syrup, and splash of tamari.  taste, and add 
salt or tamari as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment